Thursday 11 October 2018

Number our days

In Time 

Waiting at SGH yesterday for my turn at the Department of Nuclear Medicine, I watched idly the tv that was screening a movie entitled “In Time”. What caught my eye was the fact that everyone had a digital clock embedded on their left forearms. When the “ clock” ran out the person died. 

What would we do if we all knew exactly how many weeks, days, hours, seconds we had left? In the movie,  time was a commodity that could be bought, sold, given, lent, borrowed and, of course, stolen. But what if we knew exactly when our time would run out? Would we

1 spend our time frantically trying to get more time just to stay alive?;
2 just exist in hopelessness merely waiting for the clock to run out and then what? Oblivion?
3 try to improve the quality of our own life without considering others? As in “live like there’s no tomorrow?
4 try to make a difference for the better in the lives of others?

I am constantly aware of the possibility of metastasis of the breast cancer. And I am grateful that my doctors choose to err on the side of caution. I had a head-to-toe bone scan today and the 6 minutes I spent watching “In Time” at the waiting room was a timely reminder that my daily prayer should be

“ Teach us to number our days so we may gain a heart of wisdom” Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment