Monday 8 October 2018

Everywhere

Here, There And Everywhere
To lead a better life
I need my love to be here
Here, making each day of the year
Changing my life with a wave of her hand
Nobody can deny that there's something there
There, running my hands through her hair
Both of us thinking how good it can be
Someone is speaking, but she doesn't know he's there
I want her everywhere
And if she's beside me I know I need never care
But to love her is to need her everywhere
Knowing that love is to share
Each one believing that love never dies
Watching their eyes and hoping I'm always there
I want her everywhere
And if she's beside me I know I need never care
But to love her is to need her everywhere
Knowing that love is to share
Each one believing that love never dies
Watching their eyes and hoping I'm always there
I will be there
And everywhere
Here, there and everywhere
Songwriters: John Lennon / Paul McCartney
Here, There And Everywhere lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

https://youtu.be/0Whz1jIEBI0

What a lovely, haunting melody that I did not at first associate with the “noisy” Beatles. The lyrics are eternal, universal. On revisiting this song a few days ago I was struck by how this describes one’s love for God. By God I mean God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Because to love Him is to need Him everywhereBecause to love Him is to realise that truly He has set eternity in the heart of Man and that only He can still the restlessness in our hearts that we so often do not understand.

This is not about needing God as my Provider or even my Protector even though He is both and more. Through 2017 and 2018, everything that I had experienced, good and not good, up to that point, crystallised in the realisation that I needed God before I could even begin to be whom I was meant to be.

Does this sound high-faluting? Needing God everywhere was not wanting a genie to provide whatever I needed, to keep me safe from perils or even to heal me. Needing God everywhere was a realisation that I was incomplete without God. Oh yes, I had accepted that intellectually but my Epiphany moment was when my hair abandoned me. I said in an earlier post that it was when I saw my hair coming away in handfuls that I cried because I realised that I had no control over what was happening to me as a result of the chemotherapy. God showed me that it didn’t matter that I had had a mastectomy or that my hair was jumping ship. He gave me the grace to understand that in Him I was complete... no need for a head full of hair or any other part of my anatomy. I looked in the mirror thinking I would cringe at the sight of my bald head. Instead I saw my eyes. I saw life. I saw laughter in the wings waiting for its cue. I gave the cue and laughter sprang in making short work of vanity and self-pity. I watched my eyes and knew that God was and would always be there.

This song begins “To lead a better life I need my love to be here”. Well He is๐Ÿ˜‰

No comments:

Post a Comment